How To Choose the Perfect Prom Dress
It’s Prom season! Time for that one special night, a night filled with dancing, making memories with friends and our favorite part….bright, beautiful dresses and gowns! Since you’ll be posing for photos that you will want to cherish for the rest of your life it’s important to choose the right gown. One that not only is beautiful in itself but one that looks like it was made specifically for you. Here at Bella Rose we carry everything from gorgeous full length gowns to short, cute and flirty party dresses that are perfect for the occasion. Our experienced stylists can help you find just that dress, that dress that will make heads turn, your photos pop and make you feel every bit as special and beautiful as you should on this special night. In this post we are also providing a few of our favorite tips on how you can find the right style for your personality, body shape and even how to choose the right accessories! Check out the tips below and stop by to find the dress of your dreams!
The process of finding a dress can be just as much fun as actually wearing your final choice on your special night. Planning ahead and getting a specific style in mind makes the process so much easier and more enjoyable. First get some inspiration, find out what the seasons hottest trends are and start looking thru magazines, pinterest and other sources to get an idea of what styles you gravitate toward. Decide on a few color options. The color of your dress says a lot about you. Choosing a bright bold color says you are bright, bubbly and command the center of attention while dark colors such as black, navy, and burgundy are more sophisticated, timeless and classical. Keep in mind that certain colors are more flattering on different skin tones, hair and eye color. Figure out which colors flatter you individually and then decide which ones further compliment your personality.
Now that you have an idea for a dress to flatter and bring out your own unique style and taste, showcasing your personality in the most flattering way, it’s time to think about styles that will fatter your physical attributes as well. Below you can find a few general rules and guidelines to follow when finding a dress for your body type.
- Got a tall and lean figure? choose a slinky dress with clean, long lines that skim your frame. If you don’t want to wear floor-length, choose midi-length silhouettes.
- If you’re petite, look for mini shifts treated with flirty finishes, like girly tiered ruffles or glam sequins.
- If you have an athletic build, try sleeveless, figure-hugging numbers that put your hard-earned muscles on display, but also encourages curves.
- If you have a curvy shape, try structured fabrics that don’t cling or bunch up and fit-and-flare silhouettes to help carve out an hourglass figure.
- If you have an hourglass shape, look for curve-clinging cuts so you can show off your frame. Offset a ground-grazing length with a plunging neckline. For anything shorter, bring the neckline up.
- If your shape is considered an inverted triangle, dresses with a sweetheart or a plunging neckline to highlight your assets.
- For help choosing the right dress for you, visit the helpful, knowledgeable staff at Bella Rose who will personally select choices that fit your age, body type, style preference and occasion!
Hair and makeup if not done appropriately can actually distract from an amazing dress. Make sure the style you choose compliments your dress. If you are getting your hair and/or makeup professionally done show your stylist a picture of your gown and discuss complimentary hair and makeup styles to complete your look. If you are going for a more relaxed, fun and flirty look, loose hairstyles, perhaps hair all down or a messy half up-do, or a fun braid are great choices for this style. Have a more glamorous, elegant look? Start pinteresting gorgeous up-do’s and classic makeup looks featuring just one prominent feature, such as a bold lip or a smoky eye.
Last but definitely not least are your accessories. Again these can either take away or add to a look so choosing carefully is a must! Try adding balance to an outfit with your shoe choice. Add some fun to an otherwise elegant classic look with a great showstopper of a shoe. Think crystal embellishments or a fun print to go with a solid color dress. For a bright bold dress perhaps one with a lot of detail and pattern try to tone down the look with a simple shoe that will make your dress the statement piece that it deserves to be. The same principle applies to your jewelry and handbag. Simple pieces compliment more showy dresses while bright bold statement accessories add some interest and make a more classic look stand out and make it unique.
We hope you’ve enjoyed these tips on how to choose your prom dress and hope that they will make the process easier and more enjoyable. Now it’s time to grab your girls and your heels and come on down to Bella Rose to make your Prom dreams come true!